Indian Institute of Technology Mandi,popularly known as IIT Mandi is an autonomous university located in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh. It is the youngest Indian Institute of Technology established by the MHRD, Government of India in 2009.It is the only IIT nestled in the lowermost climatic zone of the serene Himalayas in Himachal Pradesh. Presently, IIT Mandi functions from transit campus at Mandi town in Himachal Pradesh. Permanent campus (about 12 km from historic town of Mandi) is under construction along Uhl River (a tributary of River Beas) at Kamand, Mandi. The institute admits students into various B.Tech.,M.S, and Ph.D.programs (as of 2010). Prof. Timothy A. Gonsalves joined as Director of IIT Mandi on Jan 15, 2010.
Nestled in the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, away from the bustle of the metropolis, a new abode of learning has germinated. A few hours before the Himalayan resort Kullu in Himachal Pradesh, once considered "the end of the habitable world", the youngest IIT has come up. The location is the forested hills of Kamand on the banks of the Uhl, a tributary of River Beas. The historic town Mandi is 12 km away. The campus in Kamand will offer a world-class academic environment with a high quality of life in a setting of natural splendour. The amenities will include modern classrooms, labs and libraries, sports and extra-curricular facilities, on-campus housing for all faculty and students, guest houses for visitors, a shopping centre, and a school.
The permanent campus is about 12 km from Mandi town. The location is in the forested hills of Kamand on the banks of the Uhl, a tributary of River Beas. A total of 565 acres (2.29 km2) of land has been allocated for the campus by the government of Himachal Pradesh.The campus also has a "Nala" going through it. There are plans to make a 2 MW SHP station to utilise the water resource of the nala. IIT Mandi is planned to function at a separate transit campus till 2013 near the main campus.
IIT Mandi has been on a rapid course of development as is evident from the following milestones:
* The laying of the foundation stone at Kamand, the site for the permanent campus of IIT Mandi, took place on 24th February 2009.
* The IIT Mandi Cell was set up at the IIT Roorkee on 18th March 2009, to steer the activities of the IIT Mandi .
* A Preliminary Project Report ( PPR ) outlining a road map of 10 years for development of academic program, campus development and related issues was finalized initially on 25.4.2009. A major component of the report was development of a scaled drawing of the 538 Acres of land at Kamand and its land-use-plan. The report was submitted to Govt. of H.P. in April 2009.
* The IIT Mandi was registered as a society in Uttarakhand, on 20th June 2009.
* The admission of the First batch of students of IIT Mandi took place in July 2009 and their classes were conducted from 27th July 2009, onwards. Staying arrangement for IIT Mandi students was made in student hostels, Rajendra Bhawan (Boys) and Kasturba Bhawan (Girls).
* Plans were finalized for development of a Transit Campus of IIT Mandi at Govt. Post graduate College, Mandi in August, 2009 during the visit of Shri Ashok Thakur, Additional Secretary, Govt. of India, MHRD, Department of Higher Education, on Aug. 13th, 2009. This campus will start functioning in near future and will be in operation till the main Campus at Kamand is developed.
* Revised PPR was finalized on Sep. 15, 2009 after incorporating changes in the forest land by excluding patches of dense forest.
* The buildings of Transit campus were handed over by the H.P. Govt. to IIT Mandi on Nov 16, 2009.
* An MoU was signed, for Creation of Virtual Class Rooms at IIT Mandi over National Knowledge Network (NKN), between IIT Mandi, National Informatics Centre (NIC) and National Informatics Center Services Incorporated ( NICSI).
* The first meeting of Building & Works Committee, exclusively for IIT Mandi, took place on Dec. 14, 2009 to consider mainly the preliminary estimates submitted by CPWD for development of the Transit campus at Mandi. The First meeting of Finance Committee and BOG of IIT Mandi took place on Dec. 21, 2009, when the estimates prepared by the CPWD (for renovation of the Transit Campus buildings as well as Construction of a laboratory block and students activity centre etc) on the basis of Architectural drawings prepared by M//s R. P. Vaidya Associates - Space Matrix, were approved. BOG also approved specialization of Faculty and Grouping of Non-Teaching Staff for reservation purposes etc for IIT Mandi.
* Prof. Timothy A. Gonsalves joined as Director of IIT Mandi on Jan 15, 2010 and took charge from Prof. S. C .Saxena, Director, IIT Roorkee.
* Prof. Timothy A. Gonsalves went on his first visit to Mandi on Jan 21-23, 2010.
* The website of IIT Mandi was activated under the domain name iitmandi.ac.in on Feb.2, 2010, by ERNET India
* The first advertisement for faculty and non-faculty positions of IIT Mandi appeared in the Times of India on Feb.3, 2010.
* On May 10, 2010, Mr. Rajat Kumar Sharma, JE(Civil), joined as the first permanent employee of IIT Mandi.
* On Tuesday 8th June, 2010 Dr. Aniruddha Chakraborty joined as the first faculty member of IIT Mandi. His research interests are in theoretical physical chemistry and he is an Assistant Professor in the School of Basic Sciences at IIT Mandi.